*over analyzes peter and carl for too long and has to lay down before i give myself a panic attack or have a mental breakdown*
Peter Doherty, New Love Grows on Trees
I might be reading too much into things, but I’ve been thinking about Pete’s recurring tendency to equate Carl with Jesus. There’s :
1. “I’ll be your Calvary”
2. The poem in the Fragility of Openness (“If I on thee a private glance reflect”)
3.”born again lustful jesusir”
4. In an NME Christmas 2002 interview, when asked “If Jesus walked among us now, who would he be?”, Pete said “Carlos Barat.”
5. The cross carved on his chest after he stormed off stage at Brixton Academy
6. Lastly, the crosses made with his own blood on this painting, which I believe to be no coincidence, given that it’s fairly well-understood that New Love Grows on Trees is about Carl (“I remember every single thing you said to me / You played the man, and I was Calvary”)
Please share any thoughts with me, here!
Edit: 7. “Jesus and his little unholy friend”?
6. ‘new love grows on trees’ is definitely about carl and he knows about that. on babyshambles session after “shall I kill you like you told me to” carl said “never told you to”
im like 60% sadness and 40% bad jokes
this means so much to me.
The original story of the little mermaid involved a deal that if the Prince fell in love with her she could be human forever, but he didn’t. He was a good person and genuinely nice to her, but he didn’t fall in love. He fell in love with someone else, also perfectly nice - not the seawitch in disguise. The Mermaid is told she can only return to the sea now if she kills the Prince. She goes into the room where he and his lover lie sleeping and they look so beautiful and happy together that she can’t do it.
That’s why she kills herself. And because it was a noble act she returns to sea as foam.
One moral of the story was that women shouldn’t fundamentally change who they are for love of a man, and in theory Han Christian Anderson wrote it for a ballerina with whom he fell in love. She was marrying someone else who wouldn’t let her dance.
This is beautiful.
80s music brings me back to good times like when i wasnt alive